Civil society leaders advised the electorate to consider candidates who listen to them.
In the first “Veritas Servant Leadership Halalan Forum 2016”, Mr. Charlito S. Ayco, Chief Executive Officer of Habitat for Humanity Philippines and Mr. Roy Calleja, Chairman, Pilipino Movement for Transformational Leadership and Brotherhood for Christian Businessmen and Professionals both emphasized the importance of listening as a quality of a servant leader.
Calleja said that a political leader should listen to the people and one way to know if a candidate is truly listening to the public’s concerns is through looking at their course of action.
“Yung pakikinig kasi, makikita mo sa gawa.Yung pakikinig nya, lumalabas sa ginagawa niya. I would look on to all the candidates on that basis. Yung fruits nung ginagawa nila, ay born out of listening,” Calleja said.
He also reminded the people to be engaged not only in the election process, but also in helping the candidates to fulfill their duties and responsibilities by watching over them.
“People should not only be engaged in selecting, electing, but helping the candidate na tumino siya habang nandun siya. Pag may masamang ginawa, sitahin natin. Kapag may mabuting ginawa, purihin natin,” Calleja added.
For his part, Ayco said that he would go over to the past actions of the candidates, their experiences and practices that show listening for many years to determine the best candidate to vote.
“Tinitingnan ko ano yung buhay nya dati. Nakikinig ba sya? Yung puso niya nasa tao ba? Nagnanakaw ba siya? Kasi kung anu yung naranasan niya, naging kaugalian niya for so many years, most likely, yun ang gagawin niya,” Mr. Ayco explained.
He added that electorates should also look into the consistency of their programs as politicians given that they already had their respective positions in the government.
The 4th Philippine Trust Index, a nationwide survey conducted from July to August 2015 showed that 17% of the respondents value a leader who listens to people’s feedback and opinions on important issues in the country.
The survey also showed that the public also look for a government leader with political will, show genuine concern for people’s welfare, and stay true to his or her campaign promises.
Veritas Servant Leadership Halalan Forum 2016 is a Radio Veritas special election forum series that will focus on the ten qualities of a servant leader that should be the gauge for the voters in choosing their candidates. The first in the series was aired last Monday, March 7, 2016 from 9:00am to 11:00am to be moderated by Radio Veritas anchors, Angelique Lazo-Mayuga and Bernard Cańaberal.
The ten qualities for a servant leader presented by Radio Veritas includes, listening, empathy, healing, awareness, persuasion, conceptualization, foresight, stewardship, commitment to the growth of the people, and building community. These qualities shall also be discussed in the series of forums to be aired by Radio Veritas, the next shall be on March 11, 2016, Friday, also from 9:00 am to 10:30 am.
Veritas Servant Leadership Halalan Forum 2016 can also be watched through live streaming at www.veritas846.ph and will have a delayed telecast at TV Maria aired at Dream Satellite’s Channel 12, Sky Cable’s Channel 160, and Global Destiny’s Channel 91.
Radio Veritas 846 is owned and operated by the Archdiocese of Manila. Established in 1969, the Ramon Magsaysay Award recipient Catholic radio station continues to be the leading social communications ministry for truth and evangelization in the country today.
- Sambayanang Filipino, hinimok na ipagdasal si Cardinal Tagle na nagpositibo sa COVID-19 - Saturday, September 12, 2020 7:59 am
- Bantayan—at ipagdasal—ang bagong pinuno ng PhilHealth - Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:15 pm
- Caritas Manila, naglaan ng P1M para sa Masbate - Tuesday, August 25, 2020 12:31 pm
- Simbahan, nagpaabot ng pakikiisa at panalangin sa mga biktima ng lindol sa Masbate… tulong, inihahanda na. - Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:10 am
- Jeepney drivers sa Metro Manila, gagawing miyembro ng Caritas Salve cooperative - Friday, August 14, 2020 11:24 am
- CARITAS PHILIPPINES CALLS FOR JUSTICE AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN THE PUBLIC HEALTH SECTOR - Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:51 pm
- Ipadama ang malasakit sa COVID-19 positive - Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:34 pm
- Diocese of Malolos, Pasig at Novaliches, tumalima sa IATF - Monday, August 3, 2020 5:14 pm
- Hope line, tugon ng Diocese of Kalookan sa tumataas na mental health problem. - Monday, June 29, 2020 1:57 pm
- COVID-19 pandemic, banta sa food security ng Pilipinas - Monday, June 29, 2020 12:13 pm