The current political milieu is very different from what it was years ago. More people are engaged in the issues and are passionate and vocal about their views. It helps that social media is a click and a type away to share personal opinions on different issues.
When the Serviam CCC Foundation produced their second Servant Leadership Conference in 2015, it was specifically targeted to public servants and their constituents in time for the 2016 national elections. The conference aimed to clarify what the Filipino people should be looking for in a new set of executive and legislative leadership. Led by His Eminence Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle as the keynote speaker, it became a successful 2-day conference such that there was a clamour for a book to be published about the conference.
Fast-forward to 2018, the Servant Leadership in Public Service book is launched today, January 10, 2018 at Makati Shangri-La, Manila in Makati City.
The time for its launch is truly God’s timing as the Filipino people is looking to re-calibrate their outer good – the one we see in social media and in the newspapers, to match their inner good – the one that God gave us when we were born.
The book talks lengthily about Servant Leadership and how it is applied in public office, on how we have a good set of world servant leaders to emulate, the model of whom is Christ Jesus.
The authors in all walks of society – church, government, business, academe, media, youth, and the urban poor, talk about the Filipinos’ need for true servant leaders and how servant leadership should contribute in building a just, caring, and loving world.
His Eminence Luis Antonio G. Cardinal Tagle, in his keynote address, discusses a kind of public service that is “humble, self emptying and reaches out to all, because pride places ambition ahead of people and mission”.
Vice President Leni Robredo, influenced much by her husband (the late Interior Secretary) Jesse’s “tsinelas” leadership, shows how her visits to far-flung communities with limited access to service helps them.
Author Dr. Jesus Estanislao formerly of NEDA, an economist and a social reformer, talks of the different attributes to become a servant leader based on Pope Francis’ teachings. He reminds public servants to “look up to institutions and focus on building them; personalities pass, but institutions stay, and also to ask yourself, when you go home,’Are my kids happy?’”
Police Senior Superintendent Dionardo B. Carlos, a well-decorated police officer who has fought drug syndicates and criminality says that protecting the people is the essence of servant leadership. He emphasizes, “It is the conviction of a true leader that the entrusted power of position becomes a tool to uplift others who are in need.”
Former Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Amando M. Tetangco writes that it is about trust and credibility. “Building public trust means being accountable to those one serves, and being responsible for the decisions he makes. Credibility is created over time, which draws respect and trust.”
The other authors of the book who have plenty more to share are former Department of Education Secretary Bro. Armin Luistro, Chief Justice Hilario G. Davide, Jr., Fr. Anton CT Pascual, Caritas Manila Executive Director, Mike Enriquez of GMA Network, RizaMantaring CEO of Sunlife Philippines, Prescilda Juanich, an organization facilitator representing the urban poor, health worker Ofelia Buenconsejo, and Chris Tiu, sportsman and former Sangguniang Kabataan Chairman, representing the youth.
Prepared by: Serviam Secretariat
(02) 7222989 / 7227691
- Radio Veritas invites the faithful to profess their pledge of devotion to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel - July 12, 2018
- Relics and Image of Blessed Luigi Maria Monti to be enthroned at the Veritas Chapel - June 14, 2018
- Radio Veritas invites devotees to celebrate Our Lady of Veritas Feast Day - May 10, 2018
- Radio Veritas invites faithful workers to profess their Pledge of Devotion for St. Joseph, The Worker - April 27, 2018
- Radio Veritas launches “Ang Radyo ng Simbahan” - April 18, 2018
- Radio Veritas special programming on Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday - March 27, 2018
- Radio Veritas special programming for Holy Tuesday and Wednesday - March 26, 2018
- Radio Veritas to join Earth Hour 2018 - March 21, 2018
- Radio Veritas invites faithful to join Online Prayer Meeting with Bishop Pabillo - March 13, 2018
- Radio Veritas invites families to profess their Pledge of Devotion for St. Joseph, Husband of Mary - March 12, 2018