“RESPECT HISTORICAL INTEGRITY! RESPECT CHURCH PROPERTY!”
STATEMENT OF THE BISHOP AND CLERGY OF THE DIOCESE OF BORONGAN ON SENATE RESOLUTION 965 SEEKING THE TRANSFER OF ONE BALANGIGA BELL TO THE NATIONAL MUSEUM
We, the Bishop and Clergy of the Diocese of Borongan collectively OBJECT TO and STRONGLY STAND AGAINST the transfer of one or all of the Bells of Balangiga from their historical and rightful habitat, which is the Parish Church of St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr, in Balangiga, Eastern Samar, Diocese of Borongan.
We recognize the national significance of the bells. We likewise desire that they be correctly appreciated by all Filipinos, in particular by the young and also by the future generations. But just as we do not transfer Jose Rizal’s family mementoes from the Rizal residence in Calamba to Manila, nor do we move from Kawit, Cavite the artifacts of the First Philippine Republic, neither should we transfer any or all of the Balangiga Bells from their historical and rightful location: namely, the Roman Catholic Parish Church of St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr. Any effort aimed at such a transfer is a disrespectful mangling of history and the right of the Catholic faithful of Balangiga to their private property. The Balangiga Encounter at which the bells played a role happened in Balangiga. It is only right that they be returned to Balangiga and stay in Balangiga.
The Balangiga Bells are sacramentals, that is, they are also sacred artifacts that call the faithful to prayer and worship. But they especially call them to the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist, the highest form of prayer and worship for Catholics. Therefore, they belong in the Church, not in a museum.
Senate Resolution 965 does violence to history and the sacred character and purpose of the Balangiga Bells. It must be rejected.
+MOST REV CRISPIN B. VARQUEZ, DD
Bishop of Borongan
13 December 2018
- Laiko at Madre, iminungkahi na maging administrator ng Arkidiyosesis at Diyosesis - June 25, 2019
- Kakulangan ng tubig sa Metro Manila: Wawa Dam rehabilitation, iminungkahi - June 19, 2019
- Painting ng pagbibinyag sa Pilipinas bilang Kristiyanong bansa, isasapubliko ng CBCP - June 10, 2019
- Party-list System Act, pinaglalaruan ng mga pulitiko - June 6, 2019
- PNP, pinayuhang resolbahin ang DUI sa halip na tutukan si Bikoy - June 5, 2019
- Hamon sa bawat namimintuho kay Maria ang pagiging totoo sa sarili at sa kapwa - June 1, 2019
- Sambayanang Filipino, hinimok na manindigan laban sa same sex marriage. - May 27, 2019
- I value life, Senador Bato - May 23, 2019
- Marriage Encounter Foundation, kikilos laban sa same sex marriages - May 22, 2019
- Sangguniang Laiko, maninindigan laban sa Death at anti-family bills - May 21, 2019