How timely and relevant are your words today, Lord Jesus Christ, especially when this the second time in less than a week we have heard your story of the healing of a leper who came to you, asking that if you will it, he could be cured of his disease (Mk.1:40-45).
Last week we heard St. Luke’s version of the same event St. Mark is almost exactly telling us today. Are you trying to tell us something very significant about this beautiful healing that assures us of your will and desire to heal us, to grant us what is best for us?
Definitely, you have a lot of things to tell us, to remind us in this part of our history as a nation and as a church when we live like being afflicted with a contagious disease we have to isolate ourselves from one another.
Aren’t we all like lepers today, with all the masks we wear and most especially the social distancing we have to keep from one another due to the COVID-19 pandemic?
And that is why, dear Jesus, we pray for one another especially those ostracized due to the stigma of contagious diseases like COVID-19 and AIDS as well as situations like homosexuality and substance abuse.
Help us realize, dear Jesus, how this corona virus pandemic is a symptom of a deeper malady afflicting us today, including us priests your servants tasked in taking care of the sick. Even before the pandemic began, we have been separated from one another and from you due to the “evil and unfaithful heart we have, forsaking the living God” (Heb.3:12).
May we experience your presence among us in every “today” so that we may all heed the call of the psalmist: “If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.”
Help us remain in you in faith, trusting you more while the corona virus continues to wreak havoc to our economy, to our well-being as persons.
Send us Your Holy Spirit to enlighten our minds and our hearts to examine and change our attitudes towards “modern lepers” among us while at the same time, may we spend more time “communing” with You in prayer as a way of life, filled with enthusiasm like the leper You have healed who could not stop himself proclaiming Your powers and Your mercy and love to him. Amen.
- Imitating the priesthood of Jesus | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Wednesday, January 20, 2021 10:06 am
- A prayer for those feeling low | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Tuesday, January 19, 2021 10:04 am
- How the Cross makes all beautiful | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Monday, January 18, 2021 10:22 am
- Becoming God’s children | The Lord Is My Chef Sunday Recipe for the Soul - Sunday, January 17, 2021 10:19 am
- Prayer to enter God’s rest | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Friday, January 15, 2021 10:02 am
- Praying for the lepers among us | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Thursday, January 14, 2021 10:25 am
- Praying for empathy | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Wednesday, January 13, 2021 10:06 am
- We are all brothers and sisters in Christ | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Tuesday, January 12, 2021 9:59 am
- When ordinary means “special” | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul - Monday, January 11, 2021 10:32 am
- Looking back, looking forward in Jesus | The Lord Is My Chef Sunday Recipe for the Soul - Sunday, January 10, 2021 10:35 am