Late have I realized, God our Father and of history, that our much revered event/experience of the past, the EDSA People Power of 1986, happened during the Season of Lent. Was it because we were sincere in our prayers that the impossible happened on those days from February 22-25, 1986?
I believe so.
And that is why I pray again for our beloved country before EDSA is totally relegated to just dates in our poor memories or worst, as the most notorious symbol of everything wrong in us which is the highway where it all happened 35 years ago today.
In this Season of Lent as we celebrate another EDSA People Power Revolution Anniversary, teach us again how to pray.
First, to have that attitude of total surrender to you, O God, like when we faced tanks and soldiers in full battle gear holding flowers and rosary beads and images of Mary and the saints at EDSA.
Like Queen Esther in the first reading today, may we pray in total surrender and dependence on you.
Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, had recourse to the Lord. She lay prostrate upon the ground, together with her handmaids, from. morning until evening, and said: “God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, blessed are you. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, for I am taking my life in my hand.”
Esther 12, 14-15
Most of all, teach us that in order to obtain whatever we may pray from you, let us ask only for what is good for us and for others like during those days at EDSA. So many times you neither hear nor grant our prayers because it is not good enough, for us and for others. Teach us to be good, to desire only what is good, for you are the only Good One.
“Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for fish? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.”
You know very well how most of us, the ordinary people who came there, simply wanted change in our country. You know so well we have neither lands nor money nor names to keep and safeguard. You know so well how most of us simply have you until today.
How sad some persons of power and influence took advantage of that and fooled us into believing they we were one with us in the ideals of EDSA. You also knew so well what were in their hearts then which they still keep to this day — self interests and greed for power, wealth, and fame.
Forgive us, Lord, in allowing them to prostitute EDSA.
Never again should it happen again.
Please show us again the way to regain its glory, its dreams and aspirations especially at this time we are at our lowest point in history as a nation. Send us selfless men and women willing to leave everything behind to you for the good of the nation.
Yes, Lord, “The Filipino is still, and always, worth dying for.” Amen.
- “Breakout” by Swing Out Sister (1986) | The Lord Is My Chef Sunday Music - Sunday, May 9, 2021 9:48 am
- Maturing in Jesus our true vine | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Wednesday, May 5, 2021 10:42 am
- Prayer to work centered on the Lord like St. Joseph | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Saturday, May 1, 2021 5:41 pm
- The need to be one in Christ - Friday, April 30, 2021 9:19 am
- Praying for my “His Story” | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Thursday, April 29, 2021 7:07 am
- Praying to gather those scattered | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Tuesday, April 27, 2021 7:48 am
- Praying for more conversions | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Friday, April 23, 2021 6:21 am
- Pantry for the body, pantry for the soul | Quiet Storm by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Thursday, April 22, 2021 2:23 pm
- Awit para sa Paminggalang Pampamayanan (Community Pantry) | Lawiswis ng Salita ni P. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:09 pm
- What the Holy Spirit does vs. what we can do | The Lord Is My Chef Breakfast Recipe for the Soul by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Tuesday, April 20, 2021 12:04 pm