OGod our Father, we praise and thank you in making us share in the priesthood of your Son Jesus Christ, our Lord and eternal Priest. So many times we forget – priests and lay people alike – the meaning of our priesthood which is to communicate your love to others, to become a bridge of men and women with God.
So many times we have become legalistic, paying more attention to the letters of the laws, to forms and to rituals forgetting the very essence of loving service for others. We always enter the church but never the community of believers.
Jesus entered the synagogue. There was a man there who had a withered hand. They watched Jesus closely to see if he would cure him on then sabbath that they might accuse him. He said to the man with the withered hand, “Come up here before us.” Then he said to the Pharisees, “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” But they remained silent.
What a shame, dear God when such moments happen when we refuse to look at the persons with their sufferings and pains, choosing to look at things around us like rules and conventions. That more sad part is as we have turned blind to others around us, we have also chosen to be deaf to their cries as well.
Forgive us, Father, when we fail to enter into oneness with others made possible to us in the coming of Jesus Christ who has become our “priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek” (Heb.7:17).
Help us discard those old understanding of priesthood with emphasis on the mystery of being a priest, of the distinction and honor, forgetting the more important aspects of working for justice and righteousness, and most of all, for peace. Both can only be earned if we strive to be men and women of love and commitment to what is good. Amen.
- Contrasts in Lent, contrasts in life | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Thursday, March 4, 2021 10:35 am
- Things we ask God | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Wednesday, March 3, 2021 10:27 am
- Sincerity of God, hypocrisy of human | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Tuesday, March 2, 2021 10:09 am
- “All Right” by Christopher Cross (1983) | The Lord Is My Chef Sunday Music by Fr. Nick F. Lalog II, 28 February 2021 - Sunday, February 28, 2021 2:33 pm
- The ups and downs from Lent to Easter | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Saturday, February 27, 2021 10:39 am
- Our good God | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Friday, February 26, 2021 2:55 pm
- Learning to pray again in Lent - Thursday, February 25, 2021 2:53 pm
- Be surprised this Lent | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Wednesday, February 24, 2021 10:02 am
- Praying to “smell like sheep” | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Monday, February 22, 2021 10:17 am
- The joy of Lent | 40 Shades of Lent by Fr. Nicanor F. Lalog II - Friday, February 19, 2021 10:18 am