If there’s one mission that the incoming Duterte administration and the Church can work closely as tandem, it is on poverty reduction.
For the last 5 Presidents which included the outgoing Aquino administration, Father Anton Pascual, executive director of Caritas Manila, the church NGO working nationwide in poorest provinces says that hardly a dent has been impacted in terms of government effort to reduce poverty.
According to Father Pascual poverty continues to scourge the county especially the rural areas at 26-percent for the last three decades.
Based on the Social Weather Station (SWS) survey, about 11.4-million Filipino families in 20-poorest provinces in the Philippines remained poor, while some 7.9-million Filipinos rated themselves food-poor.
Both the Duterte administration and Caritas Manila prioritizes Mindanao as area for massive social development.
For one, Caritas Manila has 5,000 college youth and voctech scholars in majority of the poorest provinces such as Zamboanga, Basilan, Cotabato, Surigao, Jolo, Negros Occidental, Bukidnon and provinces hit by super typhoon Yolanda.
The YSLEP (Youth Servant Leadership and Education Program) of Caritas Manila also provides leadership formation and social involvement to the youth as part of its social development program.
Father Pascual also remains optimistic that the new administration of President Rody will respond proactively to the challenge of poverty reduction through education and job generation in the provinces.
“God willing, we reduce poverty to single digit in 6-years,” Father Pascual said.
- Panagutin ang mga namumuno na nag-aastang hari - September 21, 2019
- Obispong isinasangkot sa sedition case, naghain ng counter affidavit sa DOJ - August 8, 2019
- Time to respond! - July 21, 2019
- Homily of His Eminence Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle – Chrism Mass – Maundy Thursday at Manila Cathedral – April 18, 2019 - April 19, 2019
- Paring nahuli sa buy bust, hindi Romano Katolikong Pari - January 25, 2019
- POPE FRANCIS MESSAGE FOR WORLD DAY OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS 2019 - January 25, 2019
- Campaign Against Corruption ng Pangulong Duterte, Naging Katatawanan - September 30, 2018
- Pangangailangan ng mga binaha, patuloy na tinutugunan ng Diocese of Kalookan at Cubao - August 13, 2018
- Cardinal Tagle,pinabubuksan ang mga Simbahan sa mga binahang residente - August 12, 2018
- Share the gifts of Evangelization - August 4, 2018