Statement of Affirmation and Appeal
Goodness is an Overflow of God’s Goodness to Us!
The Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas affirms and congratulates the Inter-Agency Task Force for its hard work and effort in stemming the tide of the Pandemic Virus. We are highly cognizant of the measures it has implemented to address the impact of the pandemic in the economy, food security and the general well-being of the Filipino people. Hence as good citizens, we gladly complied with the guidelines set-forth by the IATF to prevent even more the spread of the Covid-19.
As the IATF continues to assess its next moves after May 15, 2020, and with the withdrawal of its earlier decision to allow Religious gatherings (in general) in areas declared as General Community Quarantines (GCQ), we present this appeal so as to give the Filipinos a sense of the new normal in their spiritual gatherings and an opportunity to uplift our Spiritual Well- being, which are both humane and essential.
The Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas believes that giving the people the opportunity to connect with the Almighty God, especially through religious encounters and spiritual events will directly translate into goodness for themselves and for others. These are great opportunities to inspire and challenge them to do good things and share from the treasury of their good heart. “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a g0od heart” (Luke 6:45)
We recommend that a further review be made, which may include looking into the possibility of delegating this decision to the local executives, who have greater appreciation, information and control over the Religious groups present among their constituents. We are willing to submit our plans, protocols and guidelines to assure them of our strict observance of these safety and health measures.
With strict compliance to Government Guidelines on Social Distancing and Sanitation, the lay faithful requests for Religious Gatherings (Ex. Catholic Masses, Baptisms, Anointing of the Sick and Funerals, etc.) to be allowed in the GCQ areas. We demand that our right to religious worship be not curtailed when the necessary safeguards are followed.
For the Laiko Board of Directors,
ROUQUEL A. PONTE
04 May 2020
- Circular Letter: ARCHDIOCESAN CHURCHES OF INTERCESSION DURING THE PANDEMIC - Sunday, August 16, 2020 8:27 am
- Joint Pastoral Message of CBCP ECS and ECCCE - Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:47 pm
- Diocese of Cubao: WE LISTEN THAT WE MAY HAVE LIFE - Sunday, August 2, 2020 9:56 am
- Pastoral Instruction: We Hear the Call - Saturday, August 1, 2020 10:47 pm
- PASTORAL INSTRUCTION: MOVING FORWARD - Monday, June 1, 2020 10:22 pm
- CBCP Circular RE: LITURGICAL GUIDELINES IN “NEW NORMAL” CONDITION - Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:50 am
- Sangguniang Laiko: Statement of Affirmation and Appeal - Monday, May 4, 2020 3:17 pm
- CBCP Circular Letter No. 20-20 - Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:50 pm
- Vatican Decree in time of Covid-19 (II) - Friday, April 3, 2020 12:16 pm
- Pastoral Letter: A Call of Charity for the Common Good - Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:36 pm