PAETE, LAGUNA — San Pablo Bishop Buenaventura M. Famadico led the clergy and the faithful in the launching of the Jubilee Year commemorating the 300th dedication anniversary of St. James the Apostle Parish Church in this town last July 25.
The Apostolic Penitentiary, through a decree signed by Cardinal Mauro Piacenza on July 12, 2017, bestowed the plenary indulgence to all the faithful who will make pilgrimage to the parish church under the usual conditions (confession of sins, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intention of the Pope) from July 25, 2017 to July 2018.
Paete started as a mission station of the Franciscans in 1580 under the leadership of Fray Juan de Placensia. In 1602, it was established as a parish. Historical records show that in 1717 the first stoned church was constructed and it was entrusted to the tutelage of St. James the Apostle. Due to calamities both natural and man-made, the church underwent several reconstruction.
Last February 26, 2016, a spiritual bond of affinity was granted to the church by the Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Msgr. Elisardo Temperan Villaverde, a member of the Cathedral Chapter and chancellor of the archdiocese, officially conveyed the proclamation. As gifts, the archbishop gave Paete relics from Santiago de Compostela: a silver medal touched and blessed on the tomb of St. James the Apostle and a piece of rock from the roman mausoleum that keeps the sacred remain of the apostle.
A new retablo made by a native-born sculptor, Justino “Paloy” Cagayat, Jr., was also inaugurated during this year’s fiesta celebration. The relics from Santiago de Compostela will be permanently enshrined there.
Before the final blessing, Rev. Fr. Noel Conopio expressed his gratitude to God, to St. James, and to all those who worked for the success of the celebration. (FEAFadul)
- Marian Images to visit Veritas Chapel - September 9, 2017
- Exorcist Reinstates Caution On ‘Satanic’ Rosaries - September 8, 2017
- 38th Manila International Book Fair - September 8, 2017
- Nuestra Seńora dela Soledad de Porta Vaga to visit Veritas Chapel - September 8, 2017
- Hundreds helped through relentless charity from Good Samaritans - September 7, 2017
- Faithful invited to join the “Mama Mary Birthday Promo” - September 6, 2017
- Devotees invited to venerate the image of Virgen de Peńafrancia at the Veritas Chapel - September 4, 2017
- Veritas 846 to air “Walk for Creation” in Luneta - August 31, 2017
- Image of La Nińa Maria visits Veritas Chapel - August 30, 2017
- Veritas 846 continues to distribute Our Lady of Fatima images - August 24, 2017