PAETE, LAGUNA — San Pablo Bishop Buenaventura M. Famadico led the clergy and the faithful in the launching of the Jubilee Year commemorating the 300th dedication anniversary of St. James the Apostle Parish Church in this town last July 25.
The Apostolic Penitentiary, through a decree signed by Cardinal Mauro Piacenza on July 12, 2017, bestowed the plenary indulgence to all the faithful who will make pilgrimage to the parish church under the usual conditions (confession of sins, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intention of the Pope) from July 25, 2017 to July 2018.
Paete started as a mission station of the Franciscans in 1580 under the leadership of Fray Juan de Placensia. In 1602, it was established as a parish. Historical records show that in 1717 the first stoned church was constructed and it was entrusted to the tutelage of St. James the Apostle. Due to calamities both natural and man-made, the church underwent several reconstruction.
Last February 26, 2016, a spiritual bond of affinity was granted to the church by the Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Msgr. Elisardo Temperan Villaverde, a member of the Cathedral Chapter and chancellor of the archdiocese, officially conveyed the proclamation. As gifts, the archbishop gave Paete relics from Santiago de Compostela: a silver medal touched and blessed on the tomb of St. James the Apostle and a piece of rock from the roman mausoleum that keeps the sacred remain of the apostle.
A new retablo made by a native-born sculptor, Justino “Paloy” Cagayat, Jr., was also inaugurated during this year’s fiesta celebration. The relics from Santiago de Compostela will be permanently enshrined there.
Before the final blessing, Rev. Fr. Noel Conopio expressed his gratitude to God, to St. James, and to all those who worked for the success of the celebration. (FEAFadul)
- Aid to the Church grants support to Radio Veritas - August 17, 2017
- Third part of the Veritas Pilgrimage in Laguna to voyage this August - August 15, 2017
- Image of Saint Joseph Cupertino to visit Veritas Chapel - August 8, 2017
- Veritas 846 serves up hot “Pandesal Forum sa Veritas” - August 3, 2017
- Faithful surges the Kerygma Lay Formation in the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes - August 1, 2017
- Veritas 846, AUB partner towards financial literacy - July 31, 2017
- Paete Church launches jubilee year marking its 300th anniversary - July 27, 2017
- Fiesta Kapanalig goes to Nuestra Señora de los Angeles Parish in Rizal - July 27, 2017
- PCNE 4 set to air through Veritas 846 - July 26, 2017
- Veritas 846 hosts “Online Prayer Meeting for Peace” with Bishop Pabillo - July 19, 2017