PAETE, LAGUNA — San Pablo Bishop Buenaventura M. Famadico led the clergy and the faithful in the launching of the Jubilee Year commemorating the 300th dedication anniversary of St. James the Apostle Parish Church in this town last July 25.
The Apostolic Penitentiary, through a decree signed by Cardinal Mauro Piacenza on July 12, 2017, bestowed the plenary indulgence to all the faithful who will make pilgrimage to the parish church under the usual conditions (confession of sins, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intention of the Pope) from July 25, 2017 to July 2018.
Paete started as a mission station of the Franciscans in 1580 under the leadership of Fray Juan de Placensia. In 1602, it was established as a parish. Historical records show that in 1717 the first stoned church was constructed and it was entrusted to the tutelage of St. James the Apostle. Due to calamities both natural and man-made, the church underwent several reconstruction.
Last February 26, 2016, a spiritual bond of affinity was granted to the church by the Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Msgr. Elisardo Temperan Villaverde, a member of the Cathedral Chapter and chancellor of the archdiocese, officially conveyed the proclamation. As gifts, the archbishop gave Paete relics from Santiago de Compostela: a silver medal touched and blessed on the tomb of St. James the Apostle and a piece of rock from the roman mausoleum that keeps the sacred remain of the apostle.
A new retablo made by a native-born sculptor, Justino “Paloy” Cagayat, Jr., was also inaugurated during this year’s fiesta celebration. The relics from Santiago de Compostela will be permanently enshrined there.
Before the final blessing, Rev. Fr. Noel Conopio expressed his gratitude to God, to St. James, and to all those who worked for the success of the celebration. (FEAFadul)
- Isyu ng Mental Health sa Bansa, Hindi dapat isawalang bahala - June 20, 2018
- Publiko, binalaan laban sa dengue - June 20, 2018
- Kasal, Nakakabuti sa Kalusugan - June 20, 2018
- 1-linggong pagdiriwang ng Laudato Si anniversary, inilatag - June 18, 2018
- Jesus the True Vine Giving Us Love As His Fruit - April 29, 2018
- Jesus the Good Shepherd: Leadership Based on Belonging than Authority - April 21, 2018
- Peace: the Gift of Easter - April 7, 2018
- Lent Is “Seeing” Jesus - March 18, 2018
- Life Is A Daily Lent of Ascent and Listening - February 25, 2018
- Life Is A Daily Lent - February 17, 2018