The Catholic Church through its social action arm the National Secretariat for Social Action (NASSA)/Caritas Philippines launched a solidarity appeal to all the 85 dioceses nationwide to help the families displaced by the ongoing clashes between government troops and the Maute rebel group.
In a letter sent to all the bishops and social action directors of the 85 dioceses, NASSA/Caritas Philippines National Director Archbishop Rolando Tria Tirona appealed for assistance to those affected by the armed conflict in Marawi City.
“The national Caritas is now appealing to your generosity for any assistance to augment the needs of the internally displaced persons affected by the Marawi siege,” NASSA/Caritas Philippines National Director Archbishop Rolando Tria Tirona said.
He added that NASSA/Caritas Philippines initially released P300,000 to support the relief operations of the social action center of the Diocese of Iligan. Other Mindanao dioceses also started helping the Prelature of Marawi in assisting the displaced families.
Tirona said an assessment team from NASSA/Caritas Philippines has been deployed in Mindanao this week to check the needs of those affected.
Data from the Department of Social Welfare and Development showed that more than 55,000 families have already fled their homes following the crisis in Marawi.
There are no updates yet on the status of Prelature of Marawi Vicar General Fr. Chiro Suganod and 15 other civillians, who were abducted by the Maute group last week from the St. Mary’s Cathedral in Marawi City.
In the face of the crisis, the Catholic bishops in Mindanao prayed and encouraged everyone to pursue peace, citing that the martial rule recently declared in the whole of Mindanao “must be temporary”.
Donations for the relief operations of the Catholic Church can be deposited through the following bank account:
Bank: Bank of the Philippine Islands
Branch: Intramuros, Manila
Account Name: CBCP CARITAS FILIPINAS FOUNDATION, INC. NASSA
Account Number: 4951-0071-08
- Itigil na ang patayan - December 14, 2017
- Bad decision! - December 5, 2017
- Mga dukha, kayamanan ng Simbahan - November 18, 2017
- Homily- Requiem Mass of Cebu Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal - October 26, 2017
- Promote culture of encounter. - September 26, 2017
- Statement of the University of Santo Tomas - September 21, 2017
- CATHOLIC CHURCH APPEALS FOR RECONCILIATION AND COMPASSION IN MARAWI - September 13, 2017
- State policy sa “war on drugs”, baguhin - August 24, 2017
- Wakasan na ang “bloodlust” ng pangulong Duterte - August 19, 2017
- 49 milyong piso, humanitarian aid ng EU sa Marawi - July 4, 2017