The Archdiocese of Manila marks the 25th World Day of the Sick on Saturday, February 11 in commemoration of the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.
A Eucharistic Celebration will be presided by Fr. Venerando Agner, CM at the Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Intramuros, Manila at 9 a.m.
There will also be Anointing of the Sick during the Mass and a Medical Mission will be held at the Knights of Columbus (beside Manila Cathedral) at 1 p.m. onwards.
With the theme from the message of Pope Francis for the 25th Anniversary of the World Day of the Sick 2017, “Amazement at what God has accomplished: The Almighty has done great things for me…” (Luke 1:49), this occasion encourages the people to show love, compassion, and care for the sick, the aged, the disabled, and the dying.
The celebration of the Archdiocesan Mass for the sick is in coordination with the Archdiocese of Manila-Ministry on Health Care headed by Fr. Manuel Abogado III and the Philippine Association Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
In his message for the 25th World Day of the Sick 2017, Pope Francis remembers in prayers all those who are sick and suffering as well as those who are committed to serve who are in need. He reminded them to be thankful for their vocation. He also sighted that this occasion inspires the Church to continue serving the people of God.
“This Day is an opportunity to reflect in particular on the needs of the sick and, more generally, of all those who suffer. It is also an occasion for those who generously assist the sick, beginning with family members, health workers and volunteers, to give thanks for their God-given vocation of accompanying our infirm brothers and sisters. This celebration likewise gives the Church renewed spiritual energy for carrying out ever more fully that fundamental part of her mission which includes serving the poor, the infirm, the suffering, the outcast and the marginalized (cf. John Paul II, Motu Proprio Dolentium Hominum, 11 February 1985, 1). Surely, the moments of prayer, the Eucharistic liturgies and the celebrations of the Anointing of the Sick, the sharing with the sick and the bioethical and theological-pastoral workshops to be held in Lourdes in those days will make new and significant contributions to that service.”
- Catholics invited to take part on the Ash Wednesday Mass at Veritas Chapel - February 27, 2017
- Veritas Truth Forum to talk about the proposed revival of Death Penalty - February 24, 2017
- 48 Days to win at Radio Veritas 48th anniversary on-air promo - February 24, 2017
- The Shack advance screening at Greenbelt 1, Feb. 25 - February 23, 2017
- Activist nuns to talk about the spirit of EDSA 1 at Radyo Veritas - February 23, 2017
- Catholics invited to join the Veritas Lenten Pilgrimage - February 21, 2017
- Cardinal Tagle to grace the Serviam Community book launch - February 17, 2017
- Sangguniang Laiko organizes ‘Walk for Life’ - February 17, 2017
- CALL FOR DONATIONS FOR THE VICTIMS OF 6.7 MAGNITUDE EARTHQUAKE IN SURIGAO DEL NORTE - February 13, 2017
- Archdiocese of Manila marks 25th World Day of the Sick - February 10, 2017